This page provides information for paediatric oncology nurses.
3 June 2020:
- New: ISNCC Global Classroom – Reflections and learnings from the COVID-19 pandemic – 4 June
- Global COVID-19 Observatory and Resource Center
- COVID-19 for Pediatric Oncology Nurses Seminar – April 8
- Slides from the SIOP PODC Nursing March Meeting on COVID-19
- New page – Peadiatric Oncology nurses – SIOP PODC needs you – how to get involved
- New page containing slides and information about SIOP PODC Nursing meetings
- Baseline Nursing Standards video
- Making Global Connections
- Read Rachel Hollis’s great blog on ICCD and Year of the nurse
- Scholarships for nurses to attend the SIOP Annual Congress – Ottawa 2020
- Scholarships for people to attend the SIOP Annual Congress – Ottawa 2020
- APHON International Nurse Scholarship
- Publication of Safety and specialization as nursing priorities paper on PBC
- SIOP 2020
Nurses play a key role in improving survival and decreasing suffering for children with cancer. In partnership with the SIOP PODC Nursing Group we want to help nurses find education and training resources and connect with other paediatric oncology nursing colleagues around the globe.
New: ISNCC Global Classroom – Reflections and learnings from the COVID-19 pandemic – 4 June
The International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care (ISNCC) are piloting a virtual global classroom for cancer nurses. Thursday at 1pm UK time and the first session is looking at reflections and learning from COVID-19 and there are speakers from China and the UK. The second session is two weeks after and then once a month. They are being held on a Thursday at 1pm UK time. All sessions are free for people from low income countries.
To register visit: http://www.continulus.com/ISNCC
Click here to download the leaflet for the meeting on Thursday 4 June.
Click here to download a pdf about future meetings.
SIOP PODC Nursing meetings
The SIOP PODC Nursing group hold monthly meetings. These are held over Cure4Kids. Click here for more information about these meetings including how to attend, when they are held and presentation slides from previous meetings.
Global COVID-19 Observatory and Resource Center
Click here to download a PDF about the Global COVID-19 Observatory and Resource Center for Childhood Cancer. This has a section especially for nurses.
Baseline Nursing Standards video
In this YouTube video Lisa Morrissey, Glenn Mbah Afungchwi and Julia Challinor from the SIOP PODC Nursing Working Group discuss the six baseline nursing standards that help in delivering safe and effective care. Produced by Global Health & Childhood Cancer.
Making Global Connections Feb 2020
In our first Global Connection Newsletter of the decade, we would like to highlight several key milestones over the last decade, and the contributions of the SIOP PODC Nursing Group.
Click here to download.
Read Rachel Hollis’s great blog on ICCD and Year of the nurseInternational Childhood Cancer Day in the Year of the Nurse
Submitted by Rachel Hollis, RN (Child). MHSc, FRCN, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
The 15th of February is International Childhood Cancer Day, and this year it is particularly significant for nurses looking after children and adolescents with cancer across the globe. 2020 is the year when the World Health Organisation (WHO) Global Initiative for Childhood Cancer (GICC) converges with the WHO and International Council of Nurses’ Year of the Nurse and Midwife. We have an unprecedented opportunity to bring childhood cancer, and children’s cancer nurses, to the attention of policymakers, service providers, physicians, and our nursing community.
Scholarships for nurses to attend the SIOP Annual Congress – Ottawa 2020
For each annual meeting, SIOP provides scholarships to paediatric oncology nurses who have insufficient resources to participate and to travel to the meeting. Successful candidates will receive financial support towards their travel and accommodation costs up to EUR 1500 and free registration to the annual meeting.
Scholarships for people to attend the SIOP Annual Congress – Ottawa 2020
For each annual meeting, SIOP provides scholarships to people who have insufficient resources to participate and to travel to the meeting. Successful candidates will receive financial support towards their travel and accommodation costs up to EUR 1500 and free registration to the annual meeting.
Open access article: An ethical imperative: Safety and specialization as nursing priorities of WHO Global Initiative for Childhood Cancer
On behalf of SIOP PODC Nursing Group, we are glad to share the the link of recently published open access article in Pediatric Blood and Cancer “An ethical imperative: Safety and specialization as nursing priorities of WHO Global Initiative for Childhood Cancer”:
The paper illustrates the hurdles encountered by our nurses in resource limited settings. Please share so pediatric oncology care providers and the policy-makers at local, national and international levels can read for a proper understanding of these important issues within LMICs, advocate properly and implement recommendations.
APHON International Nurse Scholarship
The APHON International Nurse Scholarship provides an opportunity for two pediatric hematology/oncology nurses from low- or middle-income countries to attend the APHON Annual Conference & Exhibit each year.
The 44th Annual Conference will be held September 3-5, 2020 at the New York Hilton Midtown in New York, New York.
We will keep you posted as APHON opens the application process!
52nd Congress of the International Society of Paediatric Oncology
October 14-17, 2020
“𝐍𝐨 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐢𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐧𝐨 𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐥 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬”
SIOP 2020 will continue the spirit of international collaboration as oncologists, nurses, psychologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, parents and other caregivers join efforts, for a world free of childhood cancer.
Experience 4 outstanding days of cutting-edge science, engaging debates and networking with world renowned experts.
You can also actively participate in the Congress by submitting your abstract to SIOP 2020. Review the abstract topics and submit by April 1, 2020.
Stay tuned for more exciting SIOP 2020 updates!
For more information: https://siop-congress.org/
A number of successful meetings, talks and workshops at SIOP Lyon. Julia Challinor received a lifetime award. See below.
You will find a number of free access professional and clinical resources on the POINTE Website. POINTE is the operating name of the SIOP PODC Education and Training Working Group: https://cancerpointe.com/professional-resources/
Cure4Kids is another great on-line resource on which to access education and training materials.
You have to register to use the site, but it is completely free:
There are many individual presentations and seminars on different topics of interest to nurses, and a number of on-line courses, including:
- Essential Orientation to Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing: https://www.cure4kids.org/classrooms/course/view.php?id=159St. Jude Global’s Global Nursing Program is thrilled to announce the launch of the first two modules of the Essential Orientation to Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing on Cure4Kids. This self-paced, open enrollment course is intended for nurses to gain the essential knowledge to safely care for children with cancer. Each module takes approximately 60 minutes to complete, and upon completion of the lesson and successfully passing the associated quiz, each student will obtain a certificate.The first module, Nursing Assessments, includes content, videos and other tools for comprehensive pediatric nursing assessment and documentation, including communication of abnormal findings. The second module, Overview of Childhood Cancer and Treatment, includes content that describes the basis of childhood cancer, an overview of the presentation and treatment of the most common forms of childhood cancer, and an introduction to treatment modalities. More modules to be released over the next year.
- Pediatric Palliative Care Course (from End of Life Nursing Education Consortium): https://www.cure4kids.org/ums/home/courses/detail/content.php?courses_id=31
- Exploring Evidence-Based Practice: https://www.cure4kids.org/ums/home/courses/detail/content.php?courses_id=189
- Conceptos Básicos de Quimioterapia para Enfermeras de América Latina (Chemo Basics for Latin America Nurses): https://www.cure4kids.org/ums/home/courses/detail/content.php?courses_id=203
The United Kingdom Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group (CCLG) provide access to a free on-line course: Caring for a child or young person with cancer (for health professionals). You need to register on the site, but this is free and can be done by following this link: https://learning.cclg.org.uk/login/index.php.
Boston Children’s Hospital
More on-line resources are available on OpenPediatrics from Boston Children’s Hospital: https://www.openpediatrics.org/
- Accessing a port: https://www.openpediatrics.org/assets/video/procedural-demonstration-accessing-port
- Understanding complete blood counts: https://www.openpediatrics.org/assets/video/understanding-complete-blood-counts
Find an Expert
POINTE has a database of experts, including nurses, who can offer individual support to nurses working in Low and Middle Income Countries. You will find their contact details, and the sort of help they can offer on this link:
News and events
SIOP holds an Annual Congress which brings together health care professionals of all disciplines; parents of children with cancer and others engaged in children’s cancer care across the globe.
It is a great opportunity to learn; to share innovations in care and the challenges we face, and to network with nurses from around the world. There is a full nursing programme of talks and key note lectures throughout the meeting.
The 2019 SIOP Congress in Lyon, France was attended by over 200 nurses from across 42 countries. During the Nursing educational day, joint sessions were held with the Supportive Care, Young Investigators and PODC groups. Additionally, a joint session with CCI was also held during the main congress. A momentous moment was the keynote address by Dr. Sara Day on the International Baseline Standards for Pediatric Oncology Nursing.
Finally, the SIOP PODC Nursing group was pleased to present recognition awards for their service over the past year to Rachel Hollis (UK; in appreciation for her work with POINTE and to develop the Sub-Saharan Nursing Network), Glenn Mbah (Cameroon; in appreciation for his work to create the International Pediatric Oncology Nurses Day posters), and Neil Ranasinghe (UK; Friend of Nursing award in appreciation for his work to develop and launch the nursing page on POINTE).
We look forward to next year’s congress in Ottawa, Canada!
SIOP Nursing Lifetime Achievement Award – Julia Challinor
Julia Challinor is a legend in her own lifetime; we are delighted that this has been recognised in the SIOP Nursing Lifetime Achievement award for 2019.
Julia is a constant and unmissable presence at any SIOP Congress. Always there to challenge, engage, debate and listen. She is a passionate advocate for nursing, and for nurses. Through SIOP she has offered friendship, mentoring and support to nurses from across the globe, and especially those from Low and Middle Income countries. Those who have been lucky enough to work with Julia know that she brings to any initiative both a clear-sighted vision and a forensic attention to detail, alongside seemingly endless energy and persistence. Julia is active ‘behind the scenes’ at SIOP and in her role as Advocacy Officer she played a critical role in bringing SIOP into formal relations with the WHO. She continues to lead the nursing contribution to the WHO Global Initiative in Childhood Cancer, ensuring that the nursing voice is heard and that the nursing contribution is maximised.
SIOP Africa meets every other year, the next meeting is in Kampala, Uganda in 2021.
In 2019 the SIOP Africa meeting was held in March in Cairo, and you can read a report (including highlights of the nursing programme) by following this link:
SIOP Asia meets every year (unless the SIOP Congress is in Asia), the next meeting is in Mumbai, India, 27th to 29th March 2020.
In 2019, the SIOP Asia meeting was held in April in Abu Dhabi, and you can view the presentations by following this link:
How to get involved
If you would like to find out more, see Paediatric oncology nurses – SIOP PODC needs you – how to get involved. This provides a lot of information for how paediatric oncology nurses can get more involved in SIOP and Paediatric Oncology in Developing Countries (PODC).
13. Nurses take charge: How to advocate for a safer working environment for staff and patients with Lorena Segovia and Linda Abramovitz
Click here to listen: https://www.ghccpod.com/13-podc-nursing-2/
11. Nurses are the final common pathway for safe care: The importance of baseline nursing standards with the SIOP PODC Nursing Working Group.
Click here to listen: https://www.ghccpod.com/11-podc-nursing-1/
POINTE Social media
Twitter – https://twitter.com/cancerpointe
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/cancerPOINTE
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/cancerpointe/
POINTE Nursing Contacts
If you have any questions about any of the content on this page, or want to get involved please email Rachael or Rachel:
Rachael Kunkel BSN, RN, CPN, CPHON – KunkelRA@archildrens.org
Rachel Hollis RN (Child), BA Hons, MHSc, FRCN – email@example.com